Thursday, May 27, 2010

Andrea Adams, photographer, Stafford, VA

I missed yesterday's Ten on Tuesday. I was subbing, and I honestly couldn't think of 10 good things (how sad is that?) and I didn't have access to photos. So- today is a list of Summer Reading: (I apologize in advance for the differing sizes of book photos- not a computer glitch so much as a brain glitch on my part!)



The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
This book does not come out until June 1, 2010. It was in the suggested summer reading in Real Simple magazine.


Another book by the same author- I'll confess, I am drawn totally to the title.



How did you get this number? by Slowan Crosley is described as a very funny series of travel stories. It sounds like a good light read, although after last night's book club selection- I am skeptical of claims of funny. (do not waste your time on The English Major is all I'm saying.)



Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz is the story of an ivy league admissions officer- although this one is fiction. Maybe I am just obsessed with getting the daughter into college, but this sounded good.



Generosity: an Enhancement by Richard Powers is about an unnaturally happy and contented young woman and the people who want her DNA in order to create the world's first happiness gene.


Speaking of happiness, this book by Martha Beck is intriguing to me also. Since beginning The Happiness Project, I am interested in ways to be happier. And, I like Martha Beck, new age weirdness and all.



Nine Rooms of Happiness by Lucy Danziger and Catherine Birndorf is another book on the happiness train- it is on order at my library, but I can't remember if it is already out.



The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell is the story of a girl who finds out about an aunt she never knew who has been living in a mental hospital. Apparently she showed a little too much spunk and individuality for her time.

Four others I am looking forward to reading- nothing complicated or deep, I don't think, in any of these- they just appealed to me:






Now, it is your turn to tell me what you are planning to read this summer.

No comments: