Thursday, February 25, 2010

Currently Reading



Finally getting around to reading this. I know everyone else in the world has basically finished singing its praises a long time ago.
Initially, this book did not appeal to me at all. I don't really know what changed in me to make me pick it up, but I am liking the book. I have not finished it, but I am in the last section on Indonesia.
This book has done a few things for me:

1. I really want to go to Italy. and eat.

2. I am very interested in the meditation/quiet time idea. I have been trying to meditate for a little while now, and I cannot do it. Talk about a runaway train of thinking- can't seem to shut the brain down. As I have issues with not dealing with stress well, I am going to be trying harder for this one. I started trying to meditate for 10 minutes, and I cannot seem to make it past 2 or 3. Stillness definitely does not come naturally for me.

3. I like the idea of balance. I haven't finished the last third of the book yet, so this idea is not totally fleshed out for me, but I find myself seeking what I want my life to look like. If I don't know what I want, how will I know I am working towards it, or even living it?

4. I am trying to embrace the idea that I can let go of some of the negative things I drag around. Yes, they happened, yes, it wasn't fair or nice or how I wanted it, now quit worrying about what I cannot change.

All in all, a thought provoking book, and although I am not totally a fan of the person she starts out as, I am growing to like the person the author is becoming as a result of her travels.

No comments: